Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 1, 2000  10:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: off-topic: Richard Miller Video Tapes

In a message dated 9/1/00 3:31:55 PM, ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< I look forward to other's opinions. For the record, I
greatly enjoyed Miller's book "On the Art of Singing,"
but disagreed with some of his technical concepts in
"Structure of Singing." His ideas about the opera
business, interpretive approaches, student attitudes,
musicality, etc., I find to be fabulous. >>

Indeed those ideas are great. I'd also suggest that others who'd like to
find out firsthand how to put anything into practice which they have seen in
his books might consider taking his one-week course at some convenient
location. Second, he DOES allow students to hear him sing...I have heard him
many times in workshops. He does NOT tell them they must sound like him.
The truth is that he is the most accurate and astute "diagnostician" I have
heard work with singers. He knows how to help singers find the way to work
toward the sound they may have the potential to own. He is marvelous at
finding the best habits a singer has and capitalizing on them, while
designing the proper vocalise and practice regimen for that singer to help
overcome whatever problems they may have.

There is no "prescription" or solution that is one-size fits all in Miller's
studio, but it is a truth that he takes the voice that comes in the door and
finds the best way for that voice to shine. He, and other great teachers of
singing, aid singers to go the direction that is best for them.

There is no reason to be suspicious of his work in any degree. If any are
curious enough to read his texts, I suspect they might be curious enough to
take a lesson or two. His teaching isn't mysterious or weird, but rather is
straightforward, good, sound technique which allows the singer to be
expressive to the nth degree. His workshops are relatively inexpensive and
are held in a variety of venues throughout the country, generally during the
summer months.

A postscript: his stories are practically worth the price of the course. :)

Just adding my thoughts again, re: Miller.

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com