Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 1, 2000  2:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Nasality: Raised tongue

In a message dated 9/1/2000 5:04:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Idbelsey@y... writes:

<< Did you know that Lilian Stiles Allen the soprano and
teacher of Julie Andrews, used to hold her students
tongues down with a table spoon during exercises! Not
sure I'd recommend that though!! >>

If I have a student who has a problem with a stiff tongue, I'll sometimes
have them rest the bowl of a spoon on their tongue so they get some feedback
on when it stiffens. I find that it gives them a sense that they don't have
otherwise of when this is happening. I surely wouldn't recommend holding the
tongue down with a spoon, thnough. Yikes.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com