Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Sep 1, 2000  10:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Nasality: Raised tongue

Hi Mirko,

I would be inclined to suggest that the nasality of
your tone could be because of a too dropped soft
palate rather than a raised tongue. What your teacher
is getting you to do with sucking the tone into the
back of your throat should help ok. I like the picture
of the chewing gum too.

Generally though in my experience, a raised tongue
causes throatiness and a gripped tone.

Did you know that Lilian Stiles Allen the soprano and
teacher of Julie Andrews, used to hold her students
tongues down with a table spoon during exercises! Not
sure I'd recommend that though!!

Let us all know Mirko how you progress. Just occurred
to me too: don't get nasality muddled with nasal
resonance either. The latter is very necessary for the
voice to have carrying power.

Best wishes,

Ian Belsey. Voice wrecker to the stars!