Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Fri Sep 1, 2000  1:23 am
Subject:  Re: Karen's post...us vs. them

Hi Karen:
Wow...your post was right on the money.
I agree that I didn't join vocalist because I thought
only classical music would be discussed. I joined
because I wanted to share and gleen knowledge
regarding teaching, performing, technique, physiology,
etc.etc.etc. from all the vast resources of the different
kinds of people on the list. Perhaps because I teach
kids and teens as well as adults I am quite tolerant of
those postings of the more naive lister whose aspirations
may be that of a Britany Speers.
Although classically trained, I worked my a** OFF
to be able to cross over to musical theatre rep. and
still cringe when asked to sing a country/rock song at a
wedding. Celine Dion was one of my challenges and I'm
much more confident with that type of pop style now but
I know what you mean. All that bel canto doesn't cut it
for a lot of the practical performance repertoire we do
as professional musicians. I have a friend who can't
play anything on the piano without the music and asking
her to jam on a chord progression or play jazz or kick back
with some light pop just doesn't happen. She has 3 degrees
and can't improvise Happy Birthday. How sad!
Anyway...loved your post...boy can I relate.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
"There's no business like show business"

emusic.com