Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Aug 31, 2000  10:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] more vocalist.org brainstorming

In a message dated 08/31/2000 9:45:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
dalila@R... writes:

<< Again, I think the "keep out the teens and aspiring Britney Spears'" (a
redundancy?) attitude being expressed by more than one of us here is
deplorably intolerant and exclusionary and has no place on a mailing list
that I THOUGHT was supposed to be a kind of mutually-encouraging support
group. Sometimes I wonder at the faultiness of human memory. Or can it be
that some of the folks on this list were never naive teenagers with
unrealistic dreams? >>

Karen, I don't think it's just the Britney Spears fans that were bothersome.
The problem I saw were the people who would contribute only "The Backstreet
Boys are awesome and anyone who doesn't think so SUCKS!" And any attempt to
engage them in discourse about just what it was they LIKED about said group
resulted in "YOU SUCK!" I received the most obscene private e-mails in
response to my simple request that we discuss singing and not just
personalities. Language that shocked ME, ME, I tell you, the unshockable!
Language that I would never consider using in print, and definitely not to
someone who challenged me on something as simple as a performer (of any
genre). Language that would only be excusable if someone had physically
threatened or injured me... those are the people who had been joining
Vocalist toward the end, and those were the people I do not miss!

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com