Vocalist.org archive

From:  egroups@c...
Date:  Thu Aug 31, 2000  4:27 pm
Subject:  Re: Greetings from Marko

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "Marko Hotti"
<marko.hotti@f...> wrote: (On 19 August)
> The domain registration fee has apparantely
> been taken care of, I'll have to check that with Internic on Monday.
(snip)
> So what shall we do next? Give me next week and I'll find out about
the ISP
> thing as well as the resources needed.

Hello all,
I'm David Topping, the manager of ChoralNet, on whose "Choralist" the
list "Vocalist" was modeled. I've been watching this whole thing
play out, trying at times to contact Marko (which was never
successful), and watching the "vocalist.org" domain registration
expire back in June. While the vocalist.org site was still up, I even
posted a message to the Guestbook on the site telling people of the
move to eGroups, because nobody had done that (I hope I didn't cause
any of the "Britney teeny-boppers" to drop in here), and I couldn't
get in touch with Marko to put a simple message on the Home Page to
that effect.

Those of you who are interested in the future of the
domain "vocalist.org" should surf to:

http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois

and enter "vocalist.org" (without quotes) into the search box. You'll
then see that the domain expired back on 17 June. If the fee had been
paid, as Marko claims, that expiration date would be sometime a year
or two in the future. I even contemplated paying it myself, but since
the other information on file is all inaccurate and I couldn't reach
Marko (I even tried to get his phone number), I just gave up.

You'll note that the single message posted by Marko to this group was
posted 12 days ago, and so what became of his intention to check on
the status of "vocalist.org" on the 21st?? He didn't report back, did
he? He also said "give me next week", so by my calculations, he
should have reported back by the 26th of August at the latest, but
you all have waited so long, perhaps a few more days' delay isn't
important.

My point is that perhaps Marko is simply not able to help Vocalist
move on to the future, and that you still might want to
simultaneously pursue other options. I would strongly recommend
against a Usenet newsgroup, unless you create a "moderated" one, but
then you need designated moderators, and also, not everyone has easy
access to the Usenet....it's not as "user-friendly" as e-mail or the
Web, and it's not either of those.

You might consider keeping this group going at eGroups, and have
a "vocalist.org" Web site with cross-links to eGroups, old archives,
and maybe even banner ads and selected commercial sponsors to pay for
the costs of maintaining the Web site. We use a shareware banner ads
program at ChoralNet.org and are now receiving income from that and
other sponsor opportunities on our site.

I note that in addition to "vocalist-temporary" at eGroups, someone
also set up a "vocalist" group, which appears to be just a link to
the old "ouli.fi" list address. Perhaps there's a painless way to get
eGroups to "move" the "temporary" version to the more appropriately-
named "vocalist" area at eGroups. Has anyone explored that
possibility?

If Marko happens to "drop by" again, someone should ask him if he's
willing to turn over "vocalist.org" to an interested party. If the
fee remains unpaid, then the registrar might just lease the domain
name to some third party, and you will all lose it more or less
permanently.

I'm just trying to lend some practical advice, so please don't take
my words as being "anti-Marko"...I'm just very skeptical about the
level of his motivation and available time to devote to this effort.
Feel free to contact me at my ChoralNet.org address, which you can
find by surfing to:

http://choralnet.org/manager/

(I don't subscribe to this group via e-mail, but I'll drop in to
check for any responses when I get a chance)

Peace,
David Topping
ChoralNet, Inc.

emusic.com