Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Mon Aug 28, 2000  10:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of the term "Head Voice"

Dear Michael and other co-vocalisters,

In general your explanation (and Prof. Hanson's, that dealt only with head voice, and Mike's while discussing Bjoerling's technique) seems quite clear and makes sense to me. There is however one thing I would like to add:

In my opinion, a tenor's head voice, be it technically the same as the head voice of a baritone or a bass, sounds completely different. Where a baritone's head voice has something falsettoish, and a bass' head voice can even be rough, a tenor's head voice is even almost without adding support already bright, in fact like a woman's head voice.

Now the funny thing is, that it still sounds male, especially when enough support is being used, whereas a falsetto tone has something female. I think this has to do with the fact that the overtones of a tenor's head voice suggest a tone at the top of a voice, whereas the relative lack of overtones in a baritone's head voice, have much resemblance with a note on the lower end of a (untrained) female middle voice.

Just my 2 Eurocent,

Best greetings,

Dre

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3746 Re: Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of the Michael Mayer   Tue  8/29/2000   4 KB
3747 Re: Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of the saint james   Tue  8/29/2000   2 KB
3750 Re: Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of the Dre de Man   Tue  8/29/2000   3 KB
3754 Re: Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of the Michael Mayer   Tue  8/29/2000   2 KB
3756 Re: Falsetto Recognition & Different uses of the Michael Mayer   Tue  8/29/2000   4 KB

emusic.com