Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Aug 28, 2000  9:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Falsetto Recognition

Marthea,
In my case it sound flutey, hooty and breathy. In addition there are two
kinds of feeling which are assoicated with this kind of sound, which makes
me think that one of them might be akin to the soprano's "whistle register"
(i.e. not really produced by the vocal cords? but by another, higher
constriction of the throat):
One of these is where, if my support is not sufficient in a high note the
nore sort of cracks - it's like the vocal cords suddenly fly open like a
window, and stay open, wiggling in the breath stream, instead of putting up
resistance.
The other is a smallish sound, which feels much easier to produce, which
I've never used in any performance situation. I don't know how I produce it
though, or whether it will ever be a useful resource in the kind of singing
I like to do.
john

At 12:47 PM 8/25/00 -0700, you wrote:
... is there a way the
>singer himself knows that he's singing in falsetto? I'm not disputing your
>thoughts. I just don't have a great deal of experience working with the
>male voice and am trying to learn more about it!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Marthea

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico