Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kittisak Chooklin" <hm381119@w...>
Date:  Sun Aug 27, 2000  11:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] countertenor - falsetto

To Tako and James,

You might have both seen my post already and probably some of people here just ignored it.  It's ok, but after I listened to David Daniel's mp3, I found out that he was the guy that I mentioned in last email posted.

Still, the question is there.  He sounds singing falsetto while being called counter-tenor.  To my keen, I think if you practice well and enough, it's not so difficult to sing like him -- at least, I could do that "once in a while", esp. when I'm drunk: that's what I my friends said when they heard me singing.

By the way, let me tell you what I was told by my teacher then.  Back when I was participating in the choir in Bangkok, the teacher gave us a lecture about repertoires and then he mentioned about counter-tenor, giving an example -- Thai singer.  The singer, himself, has got a very wide range of voice and he could sing very high.  But, what I noticed here with Daniel and that singer (from Karabao group), their vocal qualities are surely different.  I mean Daniel sounds like a girl while that singer sounds like a man!  Now, the point is if that guy is a counter-tenor, why doesn't he sound like a woman then?  And, if Daniel doesn't use falsetto, why does he sound like a woman?  I have to admit here that I am not an expert in singing, but I have the observation of these two singers and I'm really curious about them.  Hopefully, my question will not be so annoying, this time.

Anyway, if my question is still not good enough, please would anyone here on the list recommend me a very good book for me to study about the differences myself?  I'll appreciate that.  Thank you very much.

Oak

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3716 Re: countertenor - falsetto velluti@c...   Sun  8/27/2000   2 KB
3740 Re: countertenor - falsetto Tako Oda   Mon  8/28/2000   3 KB

emusic.com