Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Sat Aug 26, 2000  10:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] ATTN German Speakers -- Please Help!!

Dear Naomi and Vocalisters,

to translate this in a way that makes sense, the context (the rest of the poem, in fact) is absolutely necessary. The 'dein Gehen' e.g. can mean your departure, but also your walking, or it could mean both. I.m.o. you cannot translate poetry without interpreting it, or at least give attention tot the several possible interpretations, hence the need for more text. Theoretically we would also need the music, because the most important interpretation is the one of the composer, which is in the notes, but I think we can leave that over to you, once you have a good translation.

Best greetings,

Dre