Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Sat Aug 26, 2000  7:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Different uses of the term "Head Voice"

michael,

as i said in an earlier entry, i don't consider the sound of effort bad
in itself. i merely wish to compare those voices that produce high notes
with extreme ease to those that produce them with some effort. without the
effort, or thrust, as you put it, the sound of a high range is not drammatic
or thrilling. i don't compare easy high notes to effortful high notes the
way i would compare a walk in the park to running a marathon. instead, a
good comparison would be walking to sprinting or pole vaulting, maybe even
skydiving. these all take effort but, they are definitly thrilling and
exhilirating to do rather than feeling how effortful they are (personally, i
can only attest to the first one being way to chicken to try the second or
third).

my original intent was to illustrate the possibility that, in the
search for these more drammatic sounds that we seek in male operatic voices,
we reduce the ease with which we can stretch the vocal folds by increasing
the tension in them neccesary to resist the air pressure in creating these
more drammatic sounds. i say male voices because we expect them to sound
more like 'chest voice'. the female operatic voices are allowed to be
'headier' giving them less trouble in this light. by contrast, the female
pop singer is expected to sound 'chestier' higher and is to avoid sounding
operatic. i have had female students who will panic anytime they get close
to sounding, as one student put it, 'like a guy singing like a girl'.

mike

mike

emusic.com