Vocalist.org archive

From:  Oberon603@a...
Date:  Sat Aug 26, 2000  1:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Cry to Heaven" as an opera?

Elsa wrote:
>>I don't know whether you have heard Angelo Manzotti's CD "Arie di
Farinelli" ? his voice is exceptional in range , colour and control, for the
emerging male soprano, to realise the part of Tonio.<<

Is that the CD where he sings "Son qual nave"? If your talking about who I
think your talking about, I don't like him. I bought a CD of his from
Tower's, listened to it, and exchanged it for something else. I don't like
to take advantage of that policy that they have, but sometimes you have to
use it. He has the high notes and all, but his voice is just not attractive.
At least to me it's not. Tonio had a the greatest voice ever in the book,
and I hardly think Manzotti's voice fit's that title. That's just my opinion
though. I know that he has a lot of followers. Someone even tried to get me
to join an email list for him. I just don't care for his timber though.

>> Otherwise, David Daniels has a special quality which emerges on the stage.
<<

Now this voice I have liked since the first time I heard him at the opening
night City Opera Xerxes. I thought of him, but his voice just isn't high
enough. Tonio was a soprano castrato. I think we would have to use a
androgynous looking dramatic coloratura. Or one of the guys from La Gran
Scena. They have some real soprano voices there.

Best,
Ken

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3695 Re: "Cry to Heaven" as an opera? velluti@c...   Sat  8/26/2000   2 KB