Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Fri Aug 25, 2000  3:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Perceptions of the mezz-soprano sound

Okay, I got curious & looked it up in the American Heritage Dictionary:

1. "A voice or voice part having a range between a soprano and
contralto."
2. "A woman having such a voice." [Italian: mezzo, half (see
mezzo-relievo) + soprano.}

Mezzo-relievo means "half-relief" - a sculpture technique.

This doesn't help, does it?

Pat Smith