Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Thu Aug 24, 2000  9:04 pm
Subject:  Re: repertoire for young voices

To DAvid Grogan:
Hi David. I also teach slightly younger students
than the college level. Once my students get to
college, if they are able to continue singing, they
have already devoured quite a lot of repertoire
and are quite advanced.
I would say that many of my singers have
enjoyed:
24 Italian arias (Schirmer) which comes in med. high
and med. low.
Any books of vocalizes that have graduated levels
(we have Royal Conservatory vocalize books here in
Canada and they are put in volumes of grades such
as 5-7 in one book). I find that many of my students
really enjoy vocalizes...Concone and Panofka are two
favored composers.
Five Eyes by Gibbs (comes in high and low) and
I think Boosey and Hawkes publishes it is a good
song about a guy and his 5 cats. It's fun to sing.
W.H.Anderson, a Canadian composer, has written
"To a Girl on her Birthday" which is quite beautiful and
actually has quite a variety of compositions suitable.
I don't find that my students are particularly fond of
folk song arrangements yet these are also quite popular
with many voice teachers.
Hope this helps a bit.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
"There's no business like show business"

emusic.com