Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Tue Aug 22, 2000  4:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] how we sound on a recording, was: My first Chicago Performance

Dear Lisa and vocalisters,

it all sounds very promising and I am looking forward
to the .wave or .mp3 files.
Since you are thinking about buying a md recorder:
Caio sent us a link to a Berklee site. Well, it seems
that at Berklee (sounds like Berkely, but seems to be
quite different!) they are not very much focussed on
classical music, and neither is their microphone
advise: the Shure SM 58 is a rugged, good and very
widely used microphone for popsingers, who mostly seem
to treat their microphones as bad as they treat their
voices. For classical singers the SM 58 sounds
definitively too rough (I tested it). Besides that you
cannot use it without a microphone amplifier/mixer.
Sony e.g. sell smaller (stereo) microphones for about
$ 150 that are not bad and that you can just plug into
your portable md/dat/mc recorder. Somebody on the list
who'se name I forgot alas, made good experiences with
some other brand.
But before buying any microphone(s): try them by
recording both your own and other voices, and don't
use them too close (most microphones will darken the
tone at close distances, due to the proximity effect;
besides that a close distance will mostly suggest a
better diction than you have, which didactically is
not good).
There are good reasons to mike somebody quite close
(as well) though, but that is more when making
recordings to sound as good as possible, not to learn
as much as possible.

Best greetings,

Dre