Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Tue Aug 22, 2000  2:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] how we sound on a recording, was: My first Chicago Performance

I just wanted to add that I did hear the other singers on this same recording.
Their voices sounded more or less the same as I heard them. There was a lot
of background noise, but the basic quality was the same. This is the main
reason I was so surprised by my own sound, precisely because the other voices
sounded so similar to what I heard. I suppose it is a good idea to listen to
myself more often (I've been considering buying a mini-disc recorder), but it
is so hard not to be critical and self-defeating. I had to listen with another
person and work very hard to listen to this recording and find the positive in
it. As I mentioned, I could hear every short moment where I didn't support
enough - my voice became unstable and had little wobbles and bobbles in it.
When it was supported, it seemed strong and rich (this is hard for me to admit)
and dramatic - actually it wasn't like anyone I've ever heard before. I'm
trying to see this as a positive development. My teacher has told me that he
believes that a voice like mine really needs a lot more support than I ever
believed, because it is heavy and dark, just to keep it going. (In other
words, I can't fake my way through it, which I just discovered.)

I will let you all know when I get the sound up on my web-site, and you can all
listen and tell me what you think.

Thanks for all your ideas.

Lisa-Marie
--

Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!

emusic.com