Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Karin Mandix" <kmx@m...>
Date:  Sun Aug 20, 2000  4:35 pm
Subject:  Re: Over-intellectualization

Hi everyone,

Matthew Murray wrote (some time ago, I'm behind with the digest mails
again):
>I feel like my current voice teacher very often says things I
>simply don't understand. Or, more appropriately, things that I don't seem
>to be able interpret.

***This*** is the main problem. (You may be over-intellctualizing as well,
but not necessarily.)
There are many ways of teaching, not every person will be able to work with
every teacher. Or the other way around.
Here's a few different methods I have encountered:
The imagery/feeling method: "Sniff a rose", "a potato in your mouth",
"imagine your'e an XXX" etc.
The physical method: "Try raising your arms", "strectch your back a bit
more", etc. (things you can **do**)
The anatomical/analytical method: "Your soft palate should be raised more",
"your larynx should stay down" etc.
(you are told how things should be but not how to achieve it).
.... there are probably more....

If Matthew's teacher is using just the imagery method and Matthew is left
absolutely clueless by that approach, it won't work despite all the good
intentions on either side. If the teacher does not realise this or is unable
to use another approach, my advice to Mattew is to try out another teacher.
Yes, I'm being blunt now.
Matthew, I feel that I understand what you are going through because I like
to know why things work and make a lot more progress when I'm told those
physical things I can do. Yes, I've also been told that I am
intellectualizing. But I've stopped worrying about it after I found out that
there are people that teach singing by using physical advice and anatomical
facts - and **some** imagery as well. My very analytical brains are now
helping, not hindering. Great!

Karin
kmx@m...

emusic.com