Vocalist.org archive

From:  LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Sat Aug 19, 2000  3:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Over-intellectualization.

Dear Ciao,
You asked:
<< > 1.) Get ON THE ART OF SINGING by Richard Miller.
> Which Miller's book should be read first? That one or "The Structure of
> Singing"?
Definitely ON THE ART. TSOS is wonderful but BORING and talk about
overintellectualizing!!! Too much fancy language designed to impress academe
rather than inform the thirsty for knowledge. ON THE ART is far more
accessible. It's still filled with too much accusation and superiority for my
tastes but it is deadly accurate in the information it offers. I just wish he
could have seen the cup as half full. I find that what I believe in, he does
too, to an almost uncanny level of detail.

Thank heavens the chapters are laid out in small servings. I believe they are
a compilation of his series of articles he has been continuing to write for
the "Journal of Singing". It is his opportunity to try and straighten out
what's wrong with the voice teaching profession - a worthy goal - but not
necessarily what everyone wants or needs to hear. I'd suggest reading each
chapter, then taking some time to think about it before proceeding.

There's no doubt it is the best book on singing to date and that the
information is good. It's just too negative for me.
Warmest regards,
Les

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3590 Re: Over-intellectualization. Lisa Miller   Sat  8/19/2000   3 KB

emusic.com