Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tracey Jones" <tubachick53@h...>
Date:  Fri Aug 18, 2000  4:43 am
Subject:  Girls who sing like guys

What's the general opinion on women who sing tenor in a choral setting? My
range goes an octave below middle C, so I've been doing it all through high
school, with equal success in competitions to when i sing alto. However,
clinicians at some choir clinics I've been to have really frowned on my
being a tenor. Is there any good reason why? (The one who gave me the
hardest time was an older male, which made me wonder if it boils down to
sexism or intimidation. :)
Also, what on earth does one do with a voice so low? My voice goes high, too
(G a 12th above middle C is my highest comfortable note), but nevertheless I
feel like a bit of a freak of nature. I've never taken lessons, BTW.
Just wondering,
Tracey Jones

3570 Re: Girls who sing like guys Lisa Hart   Fri  8/18/2000   2 KB
3571 Re: Girls who sing like guys John Alexander Blyth   Fri  8/18/2000   4 KB
3577 Girls who sing like guys singersuki@a...   Fri  8/18/2000   1 KB
3579 Re: Girls who sing like guys Vale [^_^]   Fri  8/18/2000   2 KB
3638 Re: Girls who sing like guys chosdad@c...   Tue  8/22/2000   3 KB
3650 Re: Girls who sing like guys Tako Oda   Wed  8/23/2000   3 KB

emusic.com