Vocalist.org archive

From:  LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 18, 2000  1:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Over-intellectualization.

Dear Matthew,
There are several steps you can take.
1.) Get ON THE ART OF SINGING by Richard Miller. Read every word.
Although there are no specifics about what to do to sing better, there are
many examples of "traditional" methods of teaching. Many teachers still use
these methods. If you give it a thorough read, you may be able to uncover the
disconnect (what I believe to be a communication problem) between you and
your teacher. There's nothing wrong with asking for rational explanations. A
competent teacher should be able to give you reasonable answers or tell you
where to go to find them.

2.) Visit the web site of the National Center for Voice and Speech:
www.NCVS.org
There's a wonderful tutorial that gives step by step explanations of the
function of the singing voice. It is WONDERFUL, especially to a person who
tends to be literal and linearly rational in their thinking. There are even a
series of tests you can take to ensure that you understand the information
presented.

When you have looked at these, you'll stand a better chance of translating
your teacher's specialized language into something that may make more sense
to you. If you can't "hit it off" after that and you don't show marked
improvement over say 2 or 3 months, get another teacher. Sounds like your
colleague has run into a good one, I'd give them a try. If your teacher isn't
communicating with you, that doesn't automatically make it your fault. Are
you recording your lessons? You should be (video preferrably). You should be
able to see progress on those videos from lesson to lesson. Each lesson
should teach you something that you can definitely identify even if it is
something very small. If they're not, you're wasting your money. If your
teacher discourages taping, I'd be extremely suspicious of them. There are no
secret methods, just good ol' fashioned hard work.
Warmest regards,
Les

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3938 French Carmen? Jennifer L. Fretwell   Sun  9/3/2000   3 KB
3944 Re: French Carmen? EB   Sun  9/3/2000   5 KB

emusic.com