Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Fri Aug 18, 2000  12:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Over-intellectualization.

Dear Matthew,
I was given the same 'over-intellectualizing catch-all
20 years ago by a teacher who, in retrospect, had no clear programme
of training that applied to me personally. I now understand my requirement
was for an organized method that fitted in with my personal life and
included a regular vocal outlet that allowed me to experiment with the most
recent ideas I wanted to try with my voice.
For some reason I assume you're not learning singing full time
but have to share yourself with a ' real job': this means of course a
discontinuity of vocal application and many distractions. I think learning
to sing is a really difficult job and attempting to maintain continuity of
practise and experimentation is the most rewarding. For this reason I hope
you have a regular choral experience that doesn't expect perfection from
you all the time. I think this type of regular battle ground can become the
arena in which you hone you technique because in the final summation
you are on your own. You have to alter and experiment and then refer to
you teacher for evaluation and feedback. I could say a lot more but I see
you've got plenty to go on with.

Best Wishes Re

emusic.com