Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Mayer" <mjmayer@h...>
Date:  Thu Aug 17, 2000  11:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Over-intellectualization.

Matthew, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration, especially for such a long
period of time. I have a feeling that there are many elements to your
difficulty. First, each student relates to a teacher in a different way and
the teacher needs to recognize how you relate to him. If you don't
understand something, it is his responsibility to figure out a way for you
to understand. This may be by explaining things differently, or possibly by
not explaining at all and just doing exercises to develop coordination and
explore your natural voice, and not trying to impose his will onto your
voice. Sometimes a beginner is just not ready to absorb everything, so it is
best to keep the thinking part as simple as possible so the instinctive
aspect is not overridden. An old master from the Italian School said
"Singing is like dog-training, make them jump over the stick." Sometimes
that may be helpful, the just do it and don't think attitude.

Something that you may be able to help is your understanding of the voice
and how it works. Have you read any books about singing? If you are a
thinker I would think you have. But that could help to get some other
perspective outside of your lesson. Another thing is make sure to ask
questions if you don't understand something. Maybe you do, which is good.

Some of the things you said seem to tell me that part of the problem is in
how you are thinking of singing. First singing is a physical activity. It
may be subtle but it is like being an athlete. Like a dancer, your body is
your instrument to express art. So it is in your best interest to do what
you can to improve the condition and coordination of your body. Second, I
often say that singing should be like thinking out loud. You cannot do what
you can't think. So you have to organize your thoughts so you don't
interfere with what needs to take priority. I had a problem with this aspect
for a long time also. It is not the intellectual side of the brain that does
the thinking, but the creative/expressive side. You can't get too caught up
with thinking of how to do it, it is not a machine. You have to imagine, or
hear in your mind, what you want to do. It is like when you sing in your
mind, without making any sound. Then you just do that out loud. You can
actually practice silently and make some progress.

The other aspects of singing, like breathing, need to be made simple also.
Don't over do your breathing. Make sure you have an upright posture, not
slumping, because that has a major impact on the automatic aspect of the
breathing. On the exhale make sure you continue to keep your breathing
smooth. Don't force out too much breath, this disrupts the balance between
breath and phonation. But at the same time keep the breath consistent. I
think you may be over-thinking things, but it sounds like it may be partly
the teachers fault by making you think of, and try to do, too many things.
It needs to be a coordination of many parts working together, too many to
think of just one at a time when you're actually doing it. The comment "Draw
up" disturbs me. Breathing during phonation should be a balance of activity
between inhale and exhale muscles so as not to overburden the vocal folds
with too much pressure. There doesn't need to be any kind of kick-off or
force to "get it going". I guess I would need to know exactly what is meant
by his statement. The main thing is the up is automatic, your job is to
check the rate of the outflow so it is not too fast, without becoming rigid
or overly relaxed.

One thing you have improved over the last six years is your library of
experience. I feel like the first eight years of study I did not sing well.
But I did gather the experience for comparison, and to know what not to do.
Sometimes it is a long road for some of us. I had to figure it out on my
own, which in the long run we all have to do. No one can really teach you
how to sing, because it is a function of your body. They can only guide you
to a more efficient way of using your body while you sing, and lead you to
the discoveries that you ultimately have to make on your own. Hope some of
this helps.

Michael