Vocalist.org archive

From:  Bobby Kravitz <bobkravitz@e...>
Date:  Wed Aug 16, 2000  7:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vocal problem/developing extreme frustration

Sandra,
We have all gone through what you are feeling. It's hard to sing right, but
once you master the techniques it is so simple and you say to yourself, What
was all the fuss. I am not making lite of this. If you listen to yourself,
DON'T.....That's why you have a teacher. If your teacher is good he will keep
you on track. Be frustrated. It shows you care about what your vocals are
doing and will do..........Sandra, you will overcome and enjoy everything once
things begin to focus.....Bobby, Philly

Sandra wrote:

> I have reached a point where I am so frustrated I don't know what to do.
> In the past several months, I am having trouble negotiating the range of
> D/E/F (below high C) when singing. There was a while before that when
> these notes there were just coming out, but they were very light in weight
> and timbre-not exactly shrill, but bright. As I have connected more of the
> characteristics of the lower mechanism with my upper voice, I find that I
> now am having major problems in this region. It feels as though it is
> getting worse, not better. Some days the notes just don't come out. Well,
> something comes out, but it sounds more like an ugly squawk. Particularly
> when singing with consonants. Vocalizing with vowels alone isn't as much
> of a problem. At the same time this problem has developed my upper notes
> (above the D/E/F) have more weight and are becoming more stable and solid.
>
> I've been studying not quite a year and a half, which I know still makes my
> a vocal baby. I am working with a very reputable teacher and he assures me
> I am on the right path. But how can that be? How can losing notes in the
> mid-range be a normal part of my voice evolving? I do remember reading
> somewhere Luc. Pav. saying that working to integrate the passagio can be
> very frustrating for the first six months or so everything comes out all
> wrong. Could this be what is happening? It doesn't ring true to me, but I
> am grasping at straws for an explanation right now. I am very diligent,
> practice daily, and do every exercise that my instructor has given me to
> fix this. But I am so frustrated at this point with this development that
> I feel like throwing the towel in and calling it quits. I really don't
> want to quit, but it feels like paying good money and working hard just to
> regress and beat my head against the wall.
>
> Encouragement greatly appreciated.
>
> Sandra

emusic.com