Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Date:  Wed Aug 16, 2000  3:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vocal problem/developing extreme frustration

Calm down, Sandra. I don't think it is unusual to run into stumbling
blocks like this at all. Your frustration is probably aiding and
abetting the situation because the harder you try the tenser you may
become. This is not to say that you should become a limp noodle, but
give yourself permission to be really dreadful and you may discover that
your voice will work better. We, singers, are our own worst enemy
because we don't ever want to make an ugly sound. A violinist that makes
a screech on a cheap violin can blame the low quality of the instrument,
but for us, we are the instrument, now what can we blame for our
shortcomings--ourselves. Notice as you approach your problem area if you
are anticipating having a problem, if so, that anticipation could be
the stumbling block and you may be constricting your throat out of
worry. Just a suggestion. Good luck. Anne

emusic.com