Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Tue Aug 15, 2000  1:25 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Looking for a book...

Hi David,

There's a book called 'Music for the Voice', by Sergius Kagen - ISBN
0-253-21142-5 - which may be what you are looking for. It gives the
range and tessitura, with suggestions as to suitable voice type, and
some general remarks. It contains mostly art songs, but there is a
section on operatic arias. Even although it does not contain every song
a composer wrote, it still runs to nearly 800 pages.

The main disadvantage is that it was originally published in 1968. It
was re-issued in paperback by Indiana University Press a couple or so
years ago, but that's still the 1968 version, and so it isn't much use
if you want to check out really contemporary stuff.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Sheila

Sheila Graham, Mezzo-Soprano
www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk