Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Aug 14, 2000  8:10 pm
Subject:  HUMOR: Fwd: Page Turning

Now, THIS one is from my sister the BCM alum.

Liz

>From: "Margaret F. Dikel" <mfriley@e...>

>This was sent around the Horn List. Someone mentioned it's been
>making the rounds for years, but it's the first I've seen it.
>

>> Tonight's page turner, Ruth Spelke, studied under Ivan Schmertnick at
>>the Boris Nitsky School of Page Turning in Philadelphia. She has been
>>turning pages here and abroad for many years for some of the world's
>>leading
>>pianists.
>> In 1988, Ms. Spelke won the Wilson Page Turning Scholarship, which
>>sent
>>her to Israel to study page turning from left to right. She is winner of
>>the 1984 Rimsky-Korsakov Flight of the Bumblebee Prestissimo Medal, having
>>turned 47 pages in an unprecedented 32 seconds. She also was a 1983 silver
>>medallist at the Klutz Musical Page Pickup Competition: contestants
>>retrieve and rearrange a musical score dropped from a Yamaha. Ms. Spelke
>>excelled in "grace, swiftness, and especially poise."
>> For techniques, Ms. Spelke performs both the finger-licking and
>>bent-page corner methods. She is world-class from a standard left bench
>>position, and is the originator of the dipped-elbow page snatch, a style
>>used to avoid obscuring the pianist's view of the music. She is page
>>turner
>>in residence in Fairfield, Iowa, where she occupies the coveted Alfred
>>Hitchcock Chair at the Fairfield Page Turning Institute.
>> Ms. Spelke is married and has a nice house on a lake.
>>
>>Stephen F. Pearce
>>Foley, Alabama
>>spearce@g...

>Margaret Dikel, MSLIS
>11218 Ashley Dr. The Riley Guide
>Rockville, MD 20852 www.rileyguide.com
>301-984-4229 www.dbm.com/jobguide
>301-984-6390 FAX mfriley@e...

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

I think gasoline should cost 49 cents a gallon. No, darn it, make that 29
cents a gallon! Also the gas-station attendants should pump it for you. And
when you get home, you should be able to watch Milton Berle on your Philco
TV. --Dave Barry

3526 Re: HUMOR: Fwd: Page Turning D. Moore   Tue  8/15/2000   2 KB

emusic.com