Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Sun Aug 13, 2000  4:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Repertoire - anthologies

Merry wrote:

>>i can't help but think that, if you buy this anthology with a sampling of
several composers, you would be getting a lot of duplication when you go to
buy the volumes of each individual composer, and i would think you would want
those if you are studying seriously. perhaps you can take out the anthology
from the school library when you get there rather than spending $ now.

On the other hand, duplication is not necessarily a bad thing. And most
beginning singers need a broader sampling of composers, so it can be good to
buy the anthology early on, and add the single composer volumes as time and
money permit. That's how I have built my library, and I can't imagine not
having my German anthology, even tho I have single volumes of all five com-
posers. Checking music out of the library is not as satisfactory as having
your own, so you can mark it up.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com