Vocalist.org archive

From:  LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Sat Aug 12, 2000  6:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "natural" singer-actors

Dear Friends,
I can't understand why anyone would set foot on stage without being
"committed". I sincerely believe everyone who takes that risk - and it is a
risk - wants to do the best that they can or they wouldn't be there.

A big difference in how a performance is received depends on the performer
understanding that performing is communicating. Communication only takes
place when the message is received and both the transmitter and receiver know
it.

Everyone, no matter how untalented they are, improves with experience.
"Talented" people improve better and faster. "Prepared" people who work hard
at the craft often surpass those who are more talented than they.

I have mentioned before that one must have a solid technique in order to be
free to create art. The context was singing, but it works the same for
acting. I feel that both are inextricably entagled because both are kinds of
communication which is, I believe, the ultimate goal. It is important too to
understand that it is the performer's best understanding of the lyricist and
composer's intent that is to be communicated. This requires homework even on
behalf of the most talented.

Warmest regards,
Les

emusic.com