Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Fri Aug 11, 2000  2:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "natural" singer-actors

At 11:44 PM 8/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>On 0 Aug 2000, Judy wrote:
>>I see a lot of acting at this level--skilled use of gestures but no sense of
>>commitment to back it up. For me, that's posing, not acting.

I read a biography on Maria Callas years ago (can't remember which one). In it her stage craft was described. It seemed quite calculated (e.g., collapsing her rib cage when exiting the stage to convey a feeling of defeat). Reportedly, she was believable and thrilling to watch. Perhaps looking committed and being committed are not the same thing.

Just musing...
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965

emusic.com