Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Aug 11, 2000  1:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Duke, Britten, and repetoire

Bryan Tank wrote:

> Could anyone give me insight into which JOhn Duke music book would be the
> best to buy. What are some of the songs in his different books? What are
> some of your favorites?

The only John Duke anthologies I know of are the Schirmer (a single volume) and
the three
Southern Music collections, by high, medium, and low voice. I don't think
there's any
duplication between the Schirmer and the Southern, nor do I recall duplication
among the
Southern volumes, but I could be wrong about that (I do know they are not
identical). It
wouldn't cost much to buy Schirmer plus 1 or 2 of the Southern Music volumes.

Along the same lines, what are some of your
> favorite Britten vocal pieces?

As Karen said, the best place to start is his folk song settings. Lots to
choose from. If
you have a decent music library handy, you might check some volumes out to
decide which
ones suit your needs the best before buying.

What are some german arts song books youd
> reccomend?

The first volume of the International Edition Schubert has the major cycles and
the best
known songs, so that's probably a good one to start with.

Also, you might want to buy the Schirmer German song anthology. It has a few
well-known
songs from each of the major lieder composers - Schubert, Schumann, Brahms,
Strauss,
Wolf. Not a bad way to dip into each one, and see which ones you want to buy
more of at
first.

> Im purchasincg lots of vocal repetoire before heading back to
> school this fall so I'd really appreciate your help!

Maybe give your voice teacher a call on the phone - he/she might be on campus
for faculty
meetings, etc. prior to the beginning of the semester.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com