Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Aug 10, 2000  4:52 pm
Subject:  RE: Carmina Burana???

> In the recording I have, these arias are sung by baritone singing falsetto -
> it sounds much better. Falsetto gives them a little unusual color and
> changes the meaning a bit: from just a very high aria, to a something witch
> goes along with the whole CB sound, maybe even magic (for a lack of a better
> word), enchanted sound.
>
> I haven't heard CT singing it, but I bet, he can bring some color to it too!
> It would be nice to know what Orff actually wanted there....

Dear Maria,

I think you're right. The orchestration for the swan aria is just too
thin to suggest a tenor screeching out his highest notes. Plus, as you
mention, there is quite a bit of "falsetto" work for the baritone
elsewhere in the oratorio, suggesting the baritone might be able to do
the swan aria as well...

-Tako

emusic.com