Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Thu Aug 10, 2000  5:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "natural" singer-actors

Judy wrote to Les:

>>> Weren't you just saying a while ago that acting could be
> reduced to a set of physical skills that could be easily
> taught? ;-)

And Les denied the accusation! :)

Actually, I believe I am the one who wrote that there are many physical tech-
niques of acting that can be taught; I teach them daily to my students. How-
ever, I did not say say that acting can be reduced to these skills. I said
that these skills can help make acting easier and more convincing.

I also agree with what Lloyd said about the actor not always being able to
assess the effectiveness of his own performance. Sometimes we think we did
poorly, only to find we have truly moved our audience, and vice versa. There
is certainly an element of mystery in the singing/acting process, which
probably can never be fully analyzed and explained. Often when we learn/
master the parts of something, the whole then becomes greater than the sum of
the parts. That's the way I think of good acting.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com