Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  11:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Carmina Burana???

Oberon603@a... wrote:

> This fall I will be joining an opera workshop in my local city & I cant
> wait (= . However recently, I found out that the music school that runs the
> workshop also has a separate choir ensemble that will be performing "Carmina
> Burana". I know nothing about this opera except that I think that one of the
> roles is performed by either a Lyric Tenor or a Countertenor. Am I correct
> in saying this? What's the role like, is it huge? Is it more suited to a
> countertenor than a tenor?

Carmina Burana isn't an opera - it's a major chorus/orchestra/soloist work.
Though the
subject matter is secular, it's like an oratorio. It occasionally gets a staged
production, but even when staged, it's nothing like an opera. I remember only
one tenor
solo, and it is VERY high. It's about a dying swan, and sounds like it. A
great piece
for a tenor who can handle the tessitura. Countertenors often sing it these
days, but I
prefer it sung by a lyric tenor, because I think the piece supposed to sound
like the high
notes are difficult to sing. My choir is performing the piece this fall, also.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com