Vocalist.org archive

From:  LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  10:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "natural" singer-actors

Dear Judy,
You wrote:
> Weren't you just saying a while ago that acting could be
> reduced to a set of physical skills that could be easily
> taught? ;-)
Nope, haven't posted on this venue in quite a while TTYTT. Perhaps you were
thinking of someone else? In any case, my philosophy is not now, nor never
has been a one size fits all paradigm. Everyone comunicates a little
differently, even the same person at different times communicates
differently. Acting is communicating. Communicating implies understanding.
Understanding implies reception and every audience is different in that
regard. You may have a successful delivery strategy Friday but it won't work
Saturday unless you make adjustments. You have to be able to sense an
audience. You have to be able to sense what you can do on that particular
night too. Nothing helps like experience. But don't throw your experience
away.

What helps me is to see in my mind's eye what I would like to see ideally.
Another thing is to use mirrors and video to see if you're delivering what
you think you're delivering. It pays to do a sanity check from time to time
and it's humbling to look at past performances and get a benchmark on your
progress as a singing actor or acting singer.
Warmest regards,
Les

emusic.com