Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  4:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Song translations

Ellen D Wolpin wrote:

> All the music has English translations, but they're written to be sung,
> so sometimes, they're not even close. Or are those the translations one
> is supposed to use?

Not if you want to sing in the roiginal language and give your audience
something to understand it by.

A singing translation is something completely different and is an art
form in itself. It can work with song, though IMHO most German, French
and Italian song sounds better in the original - but then, I would
understand enough words from the original anyway, so as not to get
mystified. When it comes to a language I don't know, I'm not at all sure
I wouldn't prefer to hear it in a good, and I strees a GOOD singing
translation: Chopin, for example, wrote a few rather lightweight songs
which I would guess need a certain amount of characterization. Much of
this would be lost on me, particularly if they're performed in a hall
with the house lights dimmed so I can't follow the programme
translation.

With opera I think singing translation is a different matter entirely.
The house lights are right down and very few theatres, as far as I know,
have surtitle facilities. The words should be understood by the
audience. In a place like the Met of the ROH Covent Garden, where there
is likely to be an international audience, the original is certainly
valid, but out in the sticks :) it is a different matter. There is
strong precedent for using the verna

--
Linda ff, Cambridge

emusic.com