Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dr Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Wed Aug 9, 2000  10:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Honest" singers

I think there is a good analogy to be drawn here
between singing and acting.

When people who have not studied singing technique
watch a good singer they make comments like :-
"Doesn't he/she have a natural voice."
"It's so effortless."
This is simply because they don't 'see' the technique.
An audience with greater awareness of whats involved,
(eg singers watching singers) know that the 'effortless'
sound is only possible through bl**dy hard work on good
technique.

Equally most on the list will not have studied acting
technique rigorously, by necessity it plays second fiddle
to vocal study. I think this results in the same comments
from singers with respect to acting, because we
are unable to 'see' the technique being employed by
accomplished actors.

I'm certainly aware of this when seeing straight plays with
my wife who, has studied acting at a high level. She will
'see' what the actor is doing and I will have a more intuitive
feel for whether I enjoyed the performance which I try and
interpret as to whether the actor was competent, our views
often differ radically.

Kevin.

emusic.com