Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Tue Aug 8, 2000  7:06 pm
Subject:  "natural" singer-actors

I've been thinking about the original question in this
whole acting thread, which was (as I understood it):
Why are some singers good on stage and others just
look fake?

Perhaps it has to do with a lack of
self-consciousness? A certain amount of forgetting
what you look like and thinking about what your
character looks like -- letting go of your own ego and
instead pouring all your energy through the character,
making yourself an instrument rather than retaining a
bunch of self-consciousness. I've seen those poor
singers, who are doing everything "right," in terms of
gestures and facial expressions, and yet they just
seem a little not-real, unconvincing; you never forget
that it's XXYY pretending to be Violetta up there...

But I am greatly enjoying the direction the thread is
taking -- what makes a good actor and how do you learn
those skills -- so let's keep going in both
directions.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

3336 Re: "natural" singer-actors LesTaylor@a...   Tue  8/8/2000   2 KB
3346 Re: "natural" singer-actors sopran@a...   Wed  8/9/2000   2 KB
3393 Re: "natural" singer-actors LesTaylor@a...   Wed  8/9/2000   3 KB
3400 Re: "natural" singer-actors DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Thu  8/10/2000   3 KB
3405 Re: "natural" singer-actors sopran@a...   Thu  8/10/2000   2 KB
3430 Re: "natural" singer-actors Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  8/11/2000   3 KB
3406 Re: "natural" singer-actors sopran@a...   Thu  8/10/2000   2 KB
3435 Re: "natural" singer-actors Dr Kevin Hollis   Fri  8/11/2000   3 KB
3437 Re: "natural" singer-actors michael.chesebro   Fri  8/11/2000   2 KB

emusic.com