Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Aug 8, 2000  6:30 pm
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning acting

sopran@a... wrote, responding to Lloyd Hanson:

> <<Techniques of of how to walk, how to to
> use the face, how to use the eyes to focus, how to use the body,
> how to use the hands, how to use gesture etc. Always "how to". That
> is technique..>>
>
> Here I'm not sure that I can agree 100%. The mere "veneer" of some
> physical skills is not enough to convince everyone, all of the time.
> More often than not, I believe that these skills BY THEMSELVES will
> produce an adequate performance--but not always an exceptional one
>(which is, after all, what we should be aiming for).

Those who have read my other posts on this topic know that I believe that
performers need to "believe" what they're doing on stage, or the audience (or
this audience member, at least) picks up that something is missing from the
performance.

But that said, I have known singers whose route to achieving this goal IS the
physical aspect of the character. To this sort of performer, the physical
movements of the character lead the performer to the character's internal
reality, and enables this performer to make the character believable by people
like me.

I guess my point is "different strokes..."

Peggy

---
Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia
mailto:peggyh@i...