Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Tue Aug 8, 2000  5:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning acting

Judy wrote:

>>Also, in these days when we are performing operas that have been performed
again and again and again for hundreds of years, the only real way to put
one's unique stamp on a role is to filter everything through your own individu
al experiences, ideas, etc.

In other words, the skills that you describe may be enough to create a degree
of competence as an actor. Whether that in an of itself is enough to achieve
distinction or even greatness is what I question.

+++++

But having the skills is what enables the actor to be free enough to allow
his/her own emotions to come through! If I put on a costume and make-up for a
role, I already feel myself more "into" the character. As I utilize my facial
expressions, gestures, posture, etc., I also feel more "into" the character.
And as I go into the character more and more, the real emotions are touched
and can come smoothly through, unblocked.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com