Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Tue Aug 8, 2000  4:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning acting

In a message dated 8/8/00 2:47:52 AM, lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< Techniques of of how to walk, how to to
use the face, how to use the eyes to focus, how to use the body, how
to use the hands, how to use gesture etc. Always "how to". That is
technique..>>

I agree that these are all valuable skills that should be part of every
actor's basic toolkit.

<<and if learned well it will fool everybody and be
considered as "method" or "being the character". >>

Here I'm not sure that I can agree 100%. The mere "veneer" of some physical
skills is not enough to convince everyone, all of the time. More often than
not, I believe that these skills BY THEMSELVES will produce an adequate
performance--but not always an exceptional one (which is, after all, what we
should be aiming for).

Also, in these days when we are performing operas that have been performed
again and again and again for hundreds of years, the only real way to put
one's unique stamp on a role is to filter everything through your own individu
al experiences, ideas, etc.

In other words, the skills that you describe may be enough to create a degree
of competence as an actor. Whether that in an of itself is enough to achieve
distinction or even greatness is what I question.

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3343 Re: learning acting Kylie Purcell   Tue  8/8/2000   2 KB

emusic.com