Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Aug 8, 2000  3:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning acting

Elizabeth and Vocalisters:

How about an acting concept that is not particularly related to ones
own needs or neuroses? That is, an acting concept that is based on
skill and the learning of that skill and less based on one's "being".

I know this sounsd very radical to Americans but it is most common in
other parts of the world. The "method" approach is not the only
approach to creating a character and become someone on stage.
Artifice is quite wonderful and many fine actosr use it all the time.

Singers, in particular, are most skilled at knowing the technique
necessary to performing well in public. They tend to be technically
oriented. Their orientation towards technique can just as easily be
used in becoming an actor. Techniques of of how to walk, how to to
use the face, how to use the eyes to focus, how to use the body, how
to use the hands, how to use gesture etc. Always "how to". That is
technique and if learned well it will fool everybody and be
considered as "method" or "being the character".

It is not my intent to be criticizing you but to use your comments as
a springboard toward an idea of acting for singers which I have found
most useful, easy to teach, and a basis of singing/acting that can be
interpreted in many ways but is basically oriented toward acting as a
skill.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy