Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Mon Aug 7, 2000  9:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Honest" singers

In a message dated 8/7/00 4:42:41 PM, BLYTHE@B... writes:

<< I came as something of a novice to both acting and solo singing only a few
years ago. I've found that you can't do it just be being 'honest' - you
always hhave to be aware of many technical things >>

Dear John,

I don't disagree with you at all!

However, by "honest" I did not mean to imply "unschooled" or totally natural,
but rather a level of artifice that is not amateurish, but still somehow
unconvincing
(obviously contrived or calculated).

Certainly if one has studied technique and explored the music and text on
many levels, there will be a level of artifice involved. Some singers,
however, can make their performance appear to be utterly fresh, immediate
and spontaneous--while others seem unable to do so.

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3329 Re: "Honest" singers John Alexander Blyth   Tue  8/8/2000   3 KB

emusic.com