Vocalist.org archive

From:  Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Date:  Sat Aug 5, 2000  6:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Honest" singers

Hi again,

> She certainly was not one of the
> worst actresses on the operatic stage. . . .Having seen
> her many times on stage, never once did I feel I was
> watching a staged concert. . .Her performance was
> 'honest'.

Well, I will most certainly defer in this area, as I have
obviously never had the good fortune of seeing Sutherland
in her element. I should have said that her recordings
give the impression of a singer who is not
overly-convincing in terms of acting. This might also be
an over-generalized statement, but for the most part her
bel canto recordings, when compared to those of Callas (in
her prime), leave something to be desired dramatically. I
do agree that even in these recordings one is not given
'bad acting' from Dame Joan, but rather a lack of
involvement or what sounds like a lack of interest. I do
realize that a studio recording is obviously not in any way
similar to a live staged performance, but I'm sure you
understand where my original words came from.

> The other thing that puzzles me, is what do you mean
> about being more confident? I've never been accused of
> being diffident, so that amused me greatly!!

I was referring to your closing statement in your original
note, "I have spoken, and now I shall remain silent" as
well as your selfprofessed "nervousness." It was late last
night when I read your note, so I probably misinterpreted
this 'hesitance' or 'reserve', for lack of confidence.

Regards,

Kate