Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Sat Aug 5, 2000  2:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Honest" singers

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the kind remarks!!

I have to disagree with you on one point about dear
Dame Joan though. She certainly was not one of the
worst actresses on the operatic stage. She was
hampered (she felt) by a very large physical frame,
and she found movement awkward. She also had alot of
back trouble which often required her to wear a steel
corset. Having seen her many times on stage, never
once did I feel I was watching a staged concert. She
was a very convincing Lucia and Violetta, and when she
was given the opportunity, she could produce good
fiery moments in Norma, for instance. I'm not going to
say that she was one of the great singing actresses,
but she infinitely better than the semaphore cum flail
your arms around of some of her collegues. This, I
suppose is my real point. Her performance was
'honest'.

She never did anything she couldn't do, and had a sort
of stately regality which was most affecting.

The other thing that puzzles me, is what do you mean
about being more confident? I've never been accused of
being diffident, so that amused me greatly!!

Anyway, thanks again for the comments, and yours were
most interesting too.

Best wishes,

Ian Belsey. Voice technician. Bromley, Kent, England.