Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 4, 2000  9:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Honest" singers

In a message dated 8/4/00 1:34:44 PM, peggyh@i... writes:

<< I call that sort of performance - not bad, but one
that I don't believe: "ACTING". Portraying, not being; pretending, not
believing. This
kind of performance can work to a certain extent, but when it's me in the
audience, I feel unsatisfied, cheated almost. As if the performer is holding
something back from me. >>

Peggy,

Yes, that's pretty much it, although in this particular singer I also tend to
suspect a higher-than-average level of self-involvement. For example, she
always seems to be striking a pose --even when she's not performing. I think
that perhaps her performances, while certainly skillful in many ways, are
more motivated by an attitude of "Aren't I wonderful?" than the "Here's
something lovely that I want to share with you" approach to singing.

I may be being too judgemental--but perhaps her apparent attitude stems more
from a some deep-rooted insecurity or desire for approval than vanity or
arrogance. But not knowing her very well, it's hard to tell!

Judy

emusic.com