Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Fri Aug 4, 2000  6:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "Honest" singers

I think this is an interesting question, because I don't know how to teach it.
I've had people tell me that I have a "natural" ability to be open and honest
with emotions when I sing. (Although I have taken several acting classes.)
This is something I feel comfortable (even confident) in. BUT, I don't know
exactly how I do it - other than really looking into each character I play and
really playing around with expression a lot. I don't know how to teach my
students to do this. I only know how *I* do it. (The ironic thing is, of
course, that I don't feel completely open and honest in regular life, just on
stage - and I only wish I could sing as well as I can perform.)

Who are everybody's favorite "performers"? I love Callas for this very reason
- because she was so committed to the character, even sometimes at the expense
of the music and at the expense of beautiful singing. I WISH I could have the
guts to sing like that all the time. I'm afraid of being criticised for my
singing, so I have separated my performing from my vocalising. (Although, the
best performances I have given have involved the 2 things together.) I feel
very nebulous and unable to state my thoughts coherently on the subject. I'd
rather "show" people what I mean. BUT the Wesley Balk Institute greatly
contributed to my feelings on the subject.

Sorry this is so incoherent.

Lisa-Marie

Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!

emusic.com