Vocalist.org archive

From:  Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Date:  Wed Aug 2, 2000  5:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] problems singing with a mic.

Hi Sandra,
I can relate to your problem. I am being trained
to sing and project without the assistance of mics.
But when I sing at church, where mics are used, I have
had some problems. In my case, it is usually the
inexperience of the sound technician in dealing with
my technique or my inexperience in using the mic to my
advantage. Most singers in my church are untrained
and need to be amplified. The choir is also the same
situation. My choir director, who is a trained
singer, can sometimes stick out of the choir- not
because he is trying to shine, but because he is
projecting and most choir members are not. If your
voice teacher has not told you you have a technique
problem, and he has heard you use a mic, then don't
worry about it. Like you said, you can blow out the
mic by projecting in the small studio space, where the
tape player is unequiped for you needs. I think
you're most likely fine, enjoy your voice and don't
worry about trying to adjust for the mic, let someone
else adjust the mic to you.

Trevor