Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@i...>
Date:  Wed Aug 2, 2000  3:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] problems singing with a mic.

----------
> From: BillyANM@a...
> To: vocalist-temporary@egroups.com
> Subject: Re: [vocalist-temporary] problems singing with a mic.
> Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 8:45 PM
>

> << My instructor does occasionally turn the
> mic. down during lessons because, per his words, I'm "blowing out the
mic."
> But he has never indicated this to be a bad thing >>
>
> Blowing out the mic is a bad thing. It means that you're so loud that
it's
> distorting the sound.

True, it is bad, I would agree, if one is training to sing with a mic. I
am training to sing without a mic. If I am "blowing out the mic" on a mic.
in a small studio room (by studio room, I mean "room where I take lessons",
not a recording studio), it generally means I am projecting well to sing
unmiked across a cathedral, I believe. I only use a mic. in lessons to
capture the gist of the instruction, not to learn how to sound pretty
miked. As such, I think it is better to turn down the mic in the lesson
and learn projection and volume dynamics than to sing the entire lesson
softly for the sake of the mic. I am studying with an instructor who
trains opera singers. When one of his professional students (i.e. sings
opera for a living full time) proceed me, they would not only blow out a
mic in the small studio, but can make the windows shake in other rooms of
the building!

Sandra

emusic.com