Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Mayer" <mjmayer@h...>
Date:  Thu Jul 27, 2000  10:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Tenor head voice (longish; or: how a ll my vocal problems vanished:))

Dre, I am usually hesitant when I hear somebody say they have made a
breakthrough that has put everything into place. This is because the voice
is a living organism, and I know from experience that what seems like a
major breakthrough one day is non-existent the next. But from your
expounding of your current concepts I am impressed with your discoveries. I
too am a tenor with a naturally full voice that thought I should be singing
lighter and ended up closing my throat. I also am wary of talking about open
throat because many people think of "open throat" as something you need to
do, when in fact the throat's natural condition is open. But we tend to
close it when we don't need to. The comment of using the whole vocal tract
as a resonator is a good one. I had read somewhere that the strongest
reinforcement of the tone happens in the larynx itself because of the
hardness of the cartilage. I too had more success when I stopped trying for
forward placement. The tone, if allowed to, should fill all the "nooks and
crannies" both forward and back.

The dark component of your voice is very important. I had the same
misconception as you speak of in #2 below. Mine stemmed from thinking the
darkness was the cause of the tension I was experiencing when I sang. The
key is not to have just darkness or just light/brightness, but a balance of
the two. This is what G. B. Lamperti refers to as "chiaroscuro", the
dark/light tone. Singing in this way makes the voice feel like one register.

In #5 you mention the feeling of the space beneath your larynx being filled
with breath. This sounds like the theory of the ventricular sacks being
filled with breath which presses the vocal folds together, ensuring closure
without muscular involvement. I don't know of the scientific validity to
this theory since it was a concept of the old Italian School.

accept that, but I know what you are saying and I think you are onto
something. It has been said that the pharynx is the true mouth of the
singer. My teacher calls the glottis the true "vocal mouth". Other ideas
along these same lines is thinking of the vowels in the throat and not in
the mouth. Apparently the vocal folds take different configurations
depending on the vowel you are thinking. Jussi Björling said you should not
use your lips to form the vowels but say the vowel with your throat. Your
observation of Pavarotti is a good one because he has said he doesn't think
of placement, but of making sure the cords vibrate immediately. I think our
sensation of placement is a result of complete vibration and not blocking
the radiation of the vibrations from the larynx, not something you need to
try to accomplish.

You noticing your belly muscles moving by themselves is very important. The
muscles of the body act in response to a stimulus, such as the idea of
phonation. So any preconceived ideas of flexing this or that muscle is
wasted effort. As many people have said, the voice will take the air it
needs. You just need to not interfere with the natural function of the voice
by trying to do something to make it happen.

Congratulations on reaching the next tier of vocal understanding. It is a
continual search for the truth. Pavarotti tells a story about when he was a
child and met Gigli. He asked Gigli when he finished studying to be a
singer, and Gigli replied "just a minute ago". He explained that a singer
never finishes their studies. Best wishes on your never-ending journey.

Michael