Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kubiak, Laurence L SSI-SMMS" <Laurence.l.Kubiak@I...>
Date:  Wed Jul 26, 2000  4:56 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Tenor head voice (longish; or: how a ll my vocal problems vanished:))

>I'm quite interested in finding how different people have learned this
"open
>throat", and how they have made it part of their technique.

For me the important question was one of complete relaxation and low
position on the voice, feeling nothing whatsoever in the throat, but quite a
lot in the chest andd stomach. And just talking in this very low, loose
position.

I found it by singing on the relaxation I found after I had just sung. You
know, sing a phrase, immediately feel the difference in tension between
singing and not singing, singing the phase again immediately on the
not-singing tension, repeating the process until the voice just dropped.

I also found it in my speaking voice before I found it in my singing voice.
I was interested in a phenomenon perhaps others have noticed: that of
singers whose singing voices do not carry as well as their speaking voices.
I was playing in the pit for an open air Zauberflote and I heard a lot of
voices that were conventionally ringing and resonant, such as might delight
their teachers at the Guidhall, yet which just didn't carry. I knew I'd been
guilty of this too: I had studied a mouth-based production which I knew
didn't carry as well as my speaking voice. I found that when I wanted to
project my speaking voice I put it in a different position to my singing
voice. Could I sing in that position? Yes, I could: and it was lower, easier
than the mouth-based production (I used to be a terrible shouter). It also
solved some problems I'd been having with high notes and legato.

I've heard other descriptions, which may perhaps interest you.

Regards / vriendelijke groeten

Laurie Kubiak
Commercial Analyst - Europe & Africa SMMS
Sales and Contract Support, Shell Services International
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA
Telephone: +44 171 934 3853; Fax: +44 171 934 6674
Mobile: 07771 971 921: E.mail: Laurence.l.Kubiak@i...
Office: LON-SC 631

emusic.com